Sunday, March 7, 2010

Book Review: Beautiful Creatures by Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl

Beautiful Creatures by Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl
Age Group: Young Adult
Genre: Paranormal Romance
Length: 576 Pages
Rating:


There were no surprises in Gatlin County.

We were pretty much the epicenter of the middle of nowhere.
At least, that's what I thought.
Turns out, I couldn't have been more wrong.
There was a curse.
There was a girl.
And in the end, there was a grave.

Lena Duchannes is unlike anyone the small Southern town of Gatlin has ever seen, and she's struggling to conceal her power and a curse that has haunted her family for generations. But even within the overgrown gardens, murky swamps and crumbling graveyards of the forgotten South, a secret cannot stay hidden forever.

Ethan Wate, who has been counting the months until he can escape from Gatlin, is haunted by dreams of a beautiful girl he has never met. When Lena moves into the town's oldest and most infamous plantation, Ethan is inexplicably drawn to her and determined to uncover the connection between them.

In a town with no surprises, one secret could change everything.


Review:
Beautiful Creatures was a beautiful book. The small Southern town setting was written in a way that really made me feel like I could be there—the smallest details were included to bring the area to life. The characters, too, were realistically fleshed-out and likeable. I felt like I could relate to the decisions they made and how they were feeling, which really helped draw me in and make me care about the characters and what they were going through.

That said, there was something a little bit off about the book for me. The way the back-story was incorporated into the main storyline seemed a bit like an info dump every time it came into play, and I also had a hard time focusing and really reading those sections—they weren’t relevant until later in the story, so I had a difficult time absorbing the information when it came up.

Overall, Beautiful Creatures was a very good book and I enjoyed reading it. This book would be excellent for anyone looking for a paranormal novel that breaks out of the mold that seems to be so common today.

No comments:

Post a Comment