Sunday, April 4, 2010

Book Review: The Adoration of Jenna Fox by Mary E. Pearson

The Adoration of Jenna Fox by Mary E. Pearson
Age Group: Young Adult
Genre: Sci-fi
Rating:

This book was simply beautiful. I was a bit skeptical when I picked it up first--it seemed like it go into the realm of sci-fi medical bizarreness, but it didn't at all. The main character, Jenna, was so realistic and easy to relate to, and I felt for her through the entire book. Every time she discovered something new about herself, I got a jolt in my stomach as well.

The other characters were also well written. The family dynamic was perfectly expressed through the little reactions they had around each other, without being over the top, and her friends each have their own, fully developed personalities, even though they weren't in many of the scenes.

One of the best things about the book, though, was how it made you think. Medical ethics are a hugely important topic moving into the future, and I never really knew much about the issues facing us. This book presented them, but didn't tell you what was right. Even the characters weren't sure what was right. It was wonderful that they were described, though, so I could look at them and learn from them.

Overall, a fantastic read that I would highly recommend.

Website

3 comments:

  1. I bought this book over a month ago and still haven't had a chance to read it! I'm glad you enjoyed it. I hope I'll like it, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read this one last year and I really enjoyed it. Great review. I recommend this one as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just stopped over from the blog hop and was so happy to see that you reviewed "jenna fox" because I just bought it and have been anxious to start reading. I'm glad to hear you liked it and I'm looking forward to checking out more of your blog!

    Katelyn
    http://bookshelfsophisticate.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete