Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Book Review: Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater

Shiver (Wolves of Mercy Falls #1) by Maggie Stiefvater
Release Date: August 1, 2009
Age Group: Young Adult

Publisher: Scholastic Press

Length: 400 pages
Rating:


For years, Grace has watched the wolves in the woods behind her house. One yellow-eyed wolf—her wolf—is a chilling presence she can't seem to live without. Meanwhile, Sam has lived two lives: In winter, the frozen woods, the protection of the pack, and the silent company of a fearless girl. In summer, a few precious months of being human ... until the cold makes him shift back again. Now, Grace meets a yellow-eyed boy whose familiarity takes her breath away. It's her wolf. It has to be. But as winter nears, Sam must fight to stay human--or risk losing himself, and Grace, forever. (from goodreads)

I was a bit put off from this book originally, because I had this idea in my head that there would be some kind of strange bestiality relationship between the girl and the wolf that I didn't want to read about. But I heard so much about this book from my friends that I eventually had to pick it up. And I did enjoy reading it.

The story was definitely well put together. The action worked well and it all built on each other to the point where everything made sense at the end without my knowing what was coming. The new twist on werewolves was interesting and creative, which is a difficult feat, but it worked well here, pulling in new twists on other ideas and keeping it just different enough for me to be interested in these werewolves and their habits.

What kept me from loving this book, though, was the way the romance was set up. I understand that Grace had been watching Sam for years and was obsessed with him and such, but he was a wolf during those times. And yet, as soon as she met him as a human, she was totally and completely in love with him. Without having ever spoken to him. Did she know Sam? At all? And yet she proclaimed her undying love. It was frustrating because the romance was written beautifully, and I couldn't get over the unrealistic factor enough to truly enjoy it.

All in all, this was a good read. I recommend it to fans of paranormal romance in a heartbeat, and I think other lovers of YA will enjoy it as well. It's fresh and interesting and well-written, and I think it's worth a read.

Amazon***Barnes and Noble***Goodreads

3 comments:

  1. I love your reviews!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just found your blog! Awesome reviews:]
    Do you mind checking out mine? www.doodlereads.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have had this in my TBR pile for a while now and have really heard mixed things about it. I am anxious to finally be able to get to read it!

    ReplyDelete